OIC Trains and develops Youth Leaders – Youth attend yearly retreats experiencing high ropes challenges, team building, conflict resolution and personal development. In addition to ongoing leadership skills development and community and civic engagement opportunities OIC-Youth Leaders (OIC-YLC) grow to become advocates, community change agents, positive peer influencers, trainer in prevention education and positive youth development approaches.
The Youth Leadership Council is a youth directed extension of Project PAUSE. They support the project with their youth perspective, community outreach and capacity to serve as peer educators. In return, the members are provided with opportunities for personal growth, to enhance their college application, earn volunteer service hours, build relationships with like-minded peers and to interact with business and community leaders.
Project PAUSE alumni who dedicate time outside of school to spread the message of prevention education, develop leadership skills, positively influence the direction of their school and Broward County's future in regards to reducing teen pregnancy, STIs and supporting their peers through positive youth development events. Members are equipped with the tools to understand the power they possess to positively serve their community.
Community Involvement, Activism, Impact:
- Fort Lauderdale AIDS Walk, Hands on Broward to support families at Ronald McDonald House, MS (Multiple Sclerosis) Block Party, volunteered at the 2nd annual Me & My Dad,
- YLC members developed and hosted A Teen Health Awareness and Prevention Social at the O.B. Johnson Teen Center in Hallandale Beach, FL
- YLC members attended the “Hurricane Blowout” sponsored by HandsOn Broward. The members participated in a hurricane kit building exercise and assembled 100 hurricane kits that were donated to vulnerable individuals in Broward County. The youth leaders also attended a Disaster Preparedness 101 workshop to support their families and communities in the event of an emergency.
- YLC members attended the Peace Ambassador Leadership Conference sponsored by NVEEE (National Voices for Equality Education and Enlightenment). Members participated in violence prevention, anti-bullying, PSA (Public Service Announcement) development and public speaking workshops.
- YLAG members were trained to facilitate evidence based TPP curriculum -BART and RTR facilitation. These members support Project PAUSE as Peer Educators.